Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Primary and Secondary Being, part I


God's primary existence and focus of being is, essentially and necessarily, within Himself. That He creates and gives Himself as well as ultimately brings others into Himself to share of Himself and His primal being is necessarily ontologically secondary. And it's important that I have a place to have all to myself really [initially referring to a private musical project]--but where I am, there He Is also. There is no place of me where He is not.

Myself isolated includes Him, and that's the central difference between my life previously as trying to focus and isolate myself out to clear reality and clarity--I was looking to locate myself in my isolation, singularity, and individuality without and apart from Him and His singularity as well as His multiplicity--His communality. It is also the difference of many people trying to live God-towardly or at least calling themselves accordingly, as well as of those who are trying to locate and uplift and clarify their individuality but in and of themselves primarily and of a primary sense. Without realizing that to truly and perfectly understand their individuality and isolate it out to clarity, they must realize and embrace that the necessary reality and nature of their own being, properly and absolutely speaking, is secondary being--necessarily and unavoidably bound up in permanent relation to God, to Primary Being.

In order to truly enthrone, uplift, embrace, identify, isolate, clarify, and realize my own individuality, I have to understand its true essence. I will never become fully and wholly myself--and wholly, perfectly, completely unified with myself--until I realize the true essence and nature of my own being. It's completely natural and absolute that this is so. So unavoidably, it's absolutely in my own self-interest to embrace the reality that my being is secondarily related to God's being, and this requires not only the recognition of His Primary Being but also the acceptance and embracing of it. This is true Godliness embodied in my own life, and there can be no life nor any true form of Godliness without it--absolutely and necessarily.

2 comments:

  1. I just listened to a podcast by John Eldredge ("Wild at Heart") in which we was talking about Jesus' view of God (and the world). He said something that struck me: God isn't calling us to merely believe in him, or even follow him, but to be ONE with him. I like that you are saying similar things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's right about that. Nothing expresses this more than John chapter 17, in which Jesus is praying to the Father and expresses what all of our relations together is to look like. Christ in the Father, and the Father in Christ, and Christ is us, and the Father in us, and us in Christ, and us in the Father.

    There is a term in Christian theology, not as prominent apparently in Western Christianity but still prominent in the East, called 'perichoresis'. It basically describes a containing around--a circle dance, as it were--that pertains to the relationship within the Trinity : a continual flowing into one another. God's plan through Jesus, in Jesus' own words, is to bring us into that reality that He has within Himself.

    ReplyDelete